What is the California Master Trust?
The California Master Trust is the oldest Pre-Need Master Trust program in the State of California. It was established in 1985 by the California Funeral Directors Association to help families fund funeral arrangements in advance. A Master Trust is created to safeguard funds for future use by pooling funds to obtain greater leverage and rates of return that aren’t normally available to regular investors. The CMT is regulated by the State of California Department of Consumer Affairs and is audited annually by a Certified Public Accounting firm. The CMT is in full compliance with California State Law and is governed by the FDSC Board of Directors with the assistance of professional investment managers, record keepers and a Federally Insured National Bank Trustee.
What is Advance Planning with a Funeral Trust?
Advance planning is an expression of love to your family by providing a structured plan for your final arrangements in advance of need. This important procedure can be planned by yourself or with members of your family involved. Arrangements can vary from simple information given to complete arrangements including casket selection, type of funeral or memorial service, place of disposition, etc. Generally, all expenses are established and monies placed in trust before the services are actually needed.
The Importance of Advance Planning
Advance planning provides important information and answers many important questions with which survivors may not be familiar. Survivors, through advance planning, are given the assurance that the arrangements are an extension of your life. With all arrangements in place, the survivors can reflect upon their memories without stress or conflicts while making last-minute decisions.
What is a Funeral Trust?
A Funeral Trust is an agreement between you and the funeral home of your choice in which money is deposited to pay for funeral expenses before needed. A pre-paid Funeral Trust is a legal document. All trusts are invested according to state statute in a legally authorized banking institution. Your funds remain in the custody of the bank until they are needed to pay for arrangements you have made.
Can the Trust meet SSI/MediCal Eligibility requirements?
Yes, the California Master Trust can easily be established or converted to meet SSI/MediCal eligibility requirements. An irrevocable trust is selected by many participants to qualify for public assistance.
Benefits of Advance Planning with a California Master Trust
In our opinion, a pre-paid CMT Funeral Trust is an excellent method to pre-pay funeral expenses.
- Your Funeral Trust is flexible. You may revoke, alter or amend your trust, whenever or however you choose unless you have an established Irrevocable Trust.
- Funeral Trusts can be made on behalf of another person such as a dependent, relative or friends
- A properly established trust is allowed under the Federal Supplemental Security Income and Medicaid guidelines to shield funds from being used as accountable resources. A CMT Funeral Trust may be established before or after going on state assistance to insure money will be available for funeral expenses.
- The Trust has no health requirement or age limits.
- With the Trust, you set aside funds based on the actual funeral cost.
- Flexible payment options including automatic withdrawal from your checking account.
Request a free Family Record Guide which will guide you through the process. It includes checklists for important documents, insurance, funeral, cremation and burial options. Call (650) 757-1300 or simply request your Family Record Guide.